Perfect Springtime starter
A delicious starter for Springtime courtesy of Aaron Johnson-Waters, Executive Chef at the Vox.
Pan seared scallops – roasted pumpkin puree – crispy pancetta shards, beach herbs, micro salad
Serves 2 people
- 4 large fresh scallops
- 4 slices of pancetta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- Micro herbs for garnish
For the pumpkin puree
- 400g pumpkin flesh cubed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
For the herb oil
- 50g spinach
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
For the beach herb salad
- 40g sea asparagus
- Cut the pumpkin into cubes and place on a tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil
- Cook until tender, for around 30 minutes, then transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, place the pancetta slices on the baking tray and cook for eight minutes until crispy.
- Blend the spinach and the olive oil together with a food blender till smooth, then pass through a chinois and place into a squeezy bottle ready for later.
- Blanch the sea herbs in boiling water for 20 seconds, then place on a tray ready to garnish.
- Prepare the scallops by patting them dry with kitchen paper. Season with the mixed salt and curry powder.
- Heat a frying pan with sunflower oil, then fry the scallops on each side for one minute, or until they’re cooked through. Add a knob of butter to make them crispy and golden, then remove from the pan and rest for two minutes.
- Serve the scallops on a warm plate, on a bed of the smooth pumpkin puree. Garnish with the crispy pancetta shards, top with sea herbs and drizzle with herb oil. Finally, finish with the micro herbs and enjoy!